20 November 2007

Choosing Linux distro

The choice was between two linux distributions. I was thinking about using Ubuntu Linux or Gentoo Linux (which is the one on my home desktop machine). Ubuntu is based on Debian package management, while Gentoo is using source code compiled package management written in Python (emerge). Gentoo is flexible and I like it much, yet the choice is now using Ubuntu Linux for the HTPC. On the previous installation (the replaced Pentium3 server) was already using Ubuntu Dapper Drake. This time I decided to try this popular linux distro as the basis - to provide more useful information for one big mass of Linux users out there. So this time I download Ubuntu Linux 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon console installer CD...

1 comment:

akion said...

Ubuntu.. cool, so much of the stuff will work with debian too, if I make one similar to this :)
Keep up the project, I'm bookmarking this site as we speak :)