07 December 2007

Installation of the Operating System + HDD

So the machine is put together. I plugged the HDD of the old P3 server onto the IDE cable and thought to try if it booted with the new mobo. The OS on the HDD is an Ubuntu Dapper Drake beta which was running for 1 or 2 years already. Switched on the HDD spun up and the boot loader started. After a few seconds it run into the (un)expected kernel panic. :) It was about APIC, it couldn't recognize the new hardware and told me to boot with no APIC. I did that and the machine correctly boot up. Almost. Reaching the X11 was a failure. The nvidia 7050PV was a no-go for the nv and the binary nvidia driver provided with the Dapper Drake too. So I decided to reinstall the whole thing right after buying a new SATA HDD.
Choosing the Hard Disc Drive I considered to go for the less heat pumper and most silent one. I've already heard good things about Western Digital being the least hot and most silent by the rumors. So next day I bought a WD SATA2 400GB, latest model. I think 400GB will be enough for the TV recording for a good leap of time.
So I have the OS - Gutsy Gibbon - already downloaded and burnt onto a CD so nothing prevents me from a short period of installation...Done! :-) It boots perfectly (no APIC problems) and installing the nvidia binary driver resulted in a perfectly running X11 with compiz. The kernel was so fine that I could run gnome thermal applet to monitor CPU temperatures and of course the forcedeth driver was outstandingly working with the integrated Gigabit Ethernet controller too.

No comments: