09 December 2007

Shaping the Vanilla

Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon up and running! Whoa! :-) I've put the thermal applet to the gnome panel and traced the temperature. It seemed OK, starting at ~28 and raising to around 40 Celsius degrees with normal/low load on the system. I said, great, let's start to shape things into a Linux multimedia desktop and server.

Let's take into account the goals now:

  • Test hardware/kernel relation further - especially CPU temperature under bigger load
  • Install the TV-card with the IR control with the kernel drivers
  • Install/configure ssh server accessible from other boxes
  • Install/configure the apache web server
  • Install/configure mythtv - the big deal
  • Configure NFS - network file system for my linux based systems
  • Configure Samba - to access files from Windows based machines
The third and fourth task was an easy one running apt-get install where necessary and edit the configuration files in /etc to my taste and this doesn't really need a focus in this blog. I'll go into details about the other points here later...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not use Mythbuntu instead?
Is suspend/hibernate working?

pzi said...

I can install mythbuntu packages under ubuntu easily, but I don't necessarily need all the mythbuntu things. For example I don't like it's default xfce look, I will use the gnome instead probably. Suspend/hibernate I didn't test yet. Good point! Although I plan to use it 7/24 all day all week long I will try it in a convenient moment. :)

Anonymous said...

Great! Could you please test if Wake On Lan is working also? It should according to the manual, but I've read that there is no WOL.. (comment in a Norwegian forum)

pzi said...

Suspend/Hibernate failed. Seems like vbetool eating the CPU and getting done nothing. Switches to empty text console. I can go back to the X and see vbetool is running. Unfortunately it doesn't work out of the box.